Thursday, April 8, 2010

How We Decided to Offer Sedation Dentistry

Before I started practicing in 1998, I had the unique privilege to learn oral surgical procedures at a local hospital. The differences between hospital-based dentistry and general dentistry were numerous. The biggest difference was how patients were cared for comfortably with respect to their level of anxiety and their medical conditions. In many cases, comfortable treatment meant sedation or general anesthesia was used. From that point on, I knew I should position our practice to offer sedation dentistry.

Before we offered sedation to patients, there were a number of steps we had to take. First, I wanted my team well-educated and trained to administer safe sedation to patients. We took an extensive amount of time at several continuing education facilities. And I make sure that they receive regular reviews of all sedation procedures and emergency protocols. Being a part of the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation (DOCS) keeps me and my team up-to-date about all aspects of sedation dentistry.

Next, I made sure that we were prepared with the right equipment and medications to monitor patients, and manage their needs. And I made sure that we arranged to focus on one patient's care at a time while they were under sedation.

I know many patients who want sedation are also in need of high-level rehabilitation--in a lot of cases, that means significant amounts of dentistry. So I prepared my practice to provide comprehensive care. That means we are trained to perform the standard of care not only for fillings, crowns, and cleanings, but also for oral surgery, root canals, dentures, gum surgery, and implants.

Finally, offering a comfortable environment that provides "TLC" and high-level customer service is necessary to work out details for people who require sedation or comprehensive care. This means we spend the time it takes to listen to a patient's specific needs and desires. We discuss how we can realistically and reasonably offer sedation dentistry to get them what they want.

It has been really rewarding for me to know that we have treated so many patients with sedation dentistry that would otherwise never be able to improve their dental health. The preparations to offer sedation have really paid off, because we know we are providing safe and effective ways to keep them comfortable during care.

No comments:

Post a Comment