Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Building Momentum

I took care of a patient a few months ago who was sweating bullets in my conference room when she saw me for the first time. She couldn't imaging treatment without being "put under."  Now, I don't put anybody to sleep in my clinic, because I simply don't want to assume responsibility for their breathing. But I provided moderate sedation for her, and I have seen her twice for surgeries to replace a tooth with an implant.  Last week, she asked me if I would discuss how to improve her facial esthetics with Botox and Juvederm. WITHOUT sedation.

I thought her progress was interesting, because I have seen a similar pattern in fearful patients. I truly believe that past experiences of traumatic dentistry never fade; those events are hard-wired into the patients' processes of fear and/or anxiety, kind of like a deeply rutted road that is traveled thousands of times. But when I can create a visit that is free of the triggers for that psychological cascade of behaviors, I could swear that a new pathway is created for patients to travel that has a totally different context for them as they sit in my office for consecutive visits.

It's pretty fascinating and rewarding to talk with this patient about how I am going to stick her with a needle, and she is significantly more relaxed. And I proceeded to inject her without anesthesia!!!! Yes, I engineered some trust between us. But that is quite a positive trend she has displayed.  I anticipate she will see me for dental care in the future without the need for sedation, because I see that evolution in other patients too. I like not having to sedate patients. And I like it even more when I know that they can build momentum in a positive way to eliminate that need for sedation care.

No comments:

Post a Comment