Thursday, August 8, 2013

Which Is It--Your Teeth, Your Jaw, Or Your Muscles?

Had a patient come in, complaining of some intense pain in her lower left back tooth that not even medication could help.  My instincts screamed "ROOT CANAL" for the hurting tooth, but I let my doctor brain put the brakes on that line of thinking and I thoughtfully worked through the examination.  In the end, there was no treatment recommended. WHAT?!?!? A dentist doesn't want to carve up a patient?

That scenario is more common than you think. I have treated head and neck pain for years, and I have learned about how pain can be referred from non-tooth sources. Problems with blood vessels, facial nerves, skin, and muscles can elicit tooth pain, and vice versa. These relationships are called bi-directional trigger points. 

Take the example of the primary muscles of chewing.  Not only do we use them to chew, we also use them to clench our teeth in times of stress. Wherever and whatever the nature of the stress (bruxism, apnea to name a couple), our muscles can become inflamed, and pass pain onto the nerve pathways of the teeth. The pictures below will show how upper teeth and lower teeth can be affected.




Conversely, I have anecdotal cases of patients with jaw or muscular or facial pain that is not felt in the teeth, but comes from abscessing, decayed, or inflamed teeth.

I have successfully used bite guards, night guards, Botox in the muscles, and sleep breathing appliances to deal with these aches and pains. 


No comments:

Post a Comment