Thursday, January 10, 2013

Treat Blood Pressure By Treating Apnea

A patient walked in to see me last week, middle aged gentleman, energetic, talkative, friendly. Not the least bit stressed-out from all outward appearances. But his blood pressure was 210/130!  His readings came down modestly as we sat and talked.  But I booked him a visit at his primar care doctor's office before he left. Upon examination, I recognized he had lots of risky physical characteristics and a positive history for sleep breathing obstruction. I told him he could manage his blood pressure by managing his breathing.  His eyebrows went up.

It's true--blood pressures are reduced in patients treat their obstructive sleep apnea. The atricle I attached goes on to describe the study was performed with patients using oral appliance therapy.

I am a member of the AADSM--The American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine.  Call today to begin your treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment